Change in Potential Energy

jeudi 27 février 2014

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 20 kg child slides down a slide at a playground. The slide is 5 meters long, and is inclined at an angle of 37 degrees above the horizontal. What is the child's change in potential?



2. Relevant equations

PE=mgy



With m=mass, g=gravity, and y=distance.





3. The attempt at a solution



I have solved potential energy problems before this,but I don't know how to account for the angle. If there was no angle, the formula would be PE=20*9.8*5, and I think that would be the change in energy since when the child reaches the bottom y=0, canceling out the entire equation. Could someone please tell me where the angle comes in? I don't want it done for me, I just need one post with a helpful explanation, and then I should be good. :)



Thanks so much!





0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire