Symmetrical motion and resolving differences in FoR

lundi 30 décembre 2013

Hi All,



Long time no post! I've asked a highly-related question to the one I'm about to ask here, but there's a specific aspect of it that I'd love your input on.



I understand that if two observers in the same location were to move away from each other symmetrically at a significant fraction of c, they would both report each other's clocks as "slowing down" relative to their own, as well as each other aging more slowly than their self. I also understand that if they each were to symmetrically reverse direction back towards each other, the differences in clocks and age would be resolved by the time they were back in the same location/FoR. I hope I got all that right. It's been a while.



What I'm unclear on is how the differences are resolved. Would they each see each other's clocks ticking more quickly than their own on the return trip? This seems like the only way to me, but I thought that things always slowed down with time dilation, regardless of the direction of movement (see this thread). Does this have to do with the change in inertia/FoR of the two observers?



As a side note, I'm bringing this up due to a conversation/debate I just got into with a couple co-workers who think that relativity is "broken" and "impossible," in which I vehemently defended it, and I managed to actually kind of know what I was talking about thanks to all I learned with help from you guys! So, thanks!





0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire