Cleaving Bonds using radiation

lundi 30 décembre 2013

Hello,



I was wondering how I could go about finding the wavelength of light that would cleave the O-H bonds of a water molecule.



I looked up the bond dissociation energy of the O-H bond, and it is 460 kJ/mole.



Now, since there are two O-H bonds, it should be twice as much, 920 kJ/mole.



Would the correct equation to use to find the wavelength to dissociate the bonds be



E = hc/λ?



That E is usually the energy to promote an electron to a higher energy level, but I wonder if it can be used in this case. When I did it, I found the wavelength to be on the order of 10^-25 meters, so something with a far lower wavelength than even a gamma ray. Is cleaving a chemical bond using radiation feasible?





0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire