Supplement to Jackson (also, 2nd vs 3rd Ed.)

lundi 30 décembre 2013

I am about to start using Jackson E&M, and I have consistently heard that it is a notoriously difficult textbook to use. Does anyone know of some good resources, textbooks or otherwise, to supplement it (other than Griffiths, which I already have)?



More specifically, I have been told that the derivations frequently skip steps, or tell the reader that a missing step should be obvious, with maddening phrases such as, "we see that...". This is very unfortunate - the way that I prefer to use textbooks is to follow the derivations that they offer in detail (it often even frustrates me when a derivation is only given as a solution to a problem, i.e., the reader has to supply it. When this is done too much, it just interrupts the flow of the text). In fact, I usually don't even feel comfortable using an equation unless I have seen and understand its derivation.



So, when I say "supplement" above, what I am really looking for is something to the effect of a textbook or online pdf entitled, "The missing steps in Jackson's derivations".



However, any additional resources would be very much appreciated.



On a related topic, if people have opinions regarding the merits of the 2nd versus the 3rd edition of Jackson, I would be curious to hear them, since I haven't decided which to buy yet.



Thanks very much for any help that you can give.



-HJ Farnsworth





0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire