Gravitational field problem

lundi 30 décembre 2013

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A thin hemispherical shell of mass M and radius R is placed as shown in figure. The magnitude of gravitational field at P due to the hemispherical shell is ##I_0##. The magnitude of gravitational field at Q due to thin hemispherical shell is given by



A)##I_0/2##



B)##I_0##



C)##\frac{2GM}{9R^2}-I_0##



D)##\frac{2GM}{9R^2}+I_0##





2. Relevant equations







3. The attempt at a solution

I tried the problem using spherical coordinates and ended up with some messy integrals. Since this is an exam problem, I wonder if I really need to solve those integrals as it would take a lot of time. (I solved the integrals using Wolfram Alpha and the result was not nice so I immediately dropped the approach.) I believe there is a shorter way to solve this.



Any help is appreciated. Thanks!




Attached Images





File Type: png hemisphere.png (7.1 KB)







0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire