Please give my some advice about math self-study

mardi 31 décembre 2013

Hello,



This is my first post, so my backgrounds is basically that I've studied biochemistry and neuroscience in university, and I want to continue working in science in some capacity, although that's not my profession at the moment. I've come to the realization that the all of the cutting-edge research in biology (and really every field of science) heavily relies on math so I've decided that it's in my best interest to develop a deeper understanding of mathematical thinking beyond the basic calculus and statistics that I've already studied. I don't have any interest in going back to school at the moment so I've decided to teach myself math. I am generally good at self-study, and have taught myself various things that some people consider difficult to learn (Chinese, computer programming, etc)



The problem is that I (along with most biologists) am terrible at math. I've bought some books that are supposed to be an introduction to "real" math, such as "introduction to mathematical thinking" and "the nuts and bolts of proofs", and when I try to do the practice problems, I struggle with them for several minutes and then get a feeling like my brain is melting and just give up. After this, I usually lose motivation to study for several days. I think the problem is I'm not used to thinking in such an abstract way, as most problems in biology are easily visualized. I feel like mathematical thinking is just too alien to me.



Anyway, I would appreciate any advice on how to develop a mathematical sense and how to self study effectively at the beginner level. Also if have any textbook recommendations, that would also be appreciated. My goal is to eventually be able to understand more advanced mathematical ideas such as abstract algebra, analysis, etc, and be able to write proofs on my own. I'm not entirely sure which fields of math I want to focus on, I feel I should wait until my ability level is higher to decide.



Thanks.





0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire