Probability of finding a system an eigenstate

dimanche 31 août 2014

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data



As the homework problem is written exactly:

Consider the quantum mechanical system with only two stationary states |1> and |2> and energies E0 and 3E0, respectively. At t=0, the system is in the ground state and a constant perturbation <1|V|2>=<2|V|1>=E0 is switched on. Calculate the probability of finding the system in the state |2>.



2. Relevant equations

H=V (I'm just assuming these states must be such that there is no kinetic energy and E=V, but that's just my guess - professor lacks communication skills at times).



|c1|2 + |c2|2 = 1

P(|2>)=|c2|2 (thus, I need c2 to solve the problem!)



3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I'm completely confused as to why he gave us <1|V|2>=<2|V|1>=E0, what that even means, and where I'm supposed to retrieve the probability coefficients which is all I need to solve the problem.





0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire