energy vs force vs work vs power

samedi 30 août 2014

In physics, I know that all of these terms are used. I need to brush up on my physics and I plan to study during my free time (I want to master the conversion from one form of energy into another, example; electrical to mechanical & vice versa)



So as a generalization, what is the difference between the four? I know that magnetism is a force, electrical field involves force and energy, watts is energy and force as well (where volts is force and amps is energy; energy = force times dx I think) and so fourth. You don't have to go to in depth, just helping me distinctively knowing how to define all four and their different application in physics is enough for me (In high school, these terms which seem synonymous in physics class were never clarified from the beginning to the end, and I didn't realize the importance until now) Right now I just want to create a stepping stone for future success or to at least have a fighting chance for success. :)



*Another example

Technically, you can't convert Joules to horsepower, since they are units of different measurements. Joules is a unit of work or energy, while horsepower is a unit of power, i.e. the time derivative of work. There must be a time interval specified somewhere. But Joules don't equal watts either--one's a measurement of energy, one's a mesurement of power. 1 Watt = 1 Joule / 1 sec. But you can convert watts into horsepower which would be;

1 horsepower = 745.699872 Watts





0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire