Is light matter, or just a concept of vibrations in a medium?

mardi 30 juillet 2013

I've heard light compared to vibrations under the earth. The "waves" between the tectonic plates are simply a 'state', or 'action', i.e, the action of millions of atoms "bumping" into each other with their opposite charges (all the valence electrons repel other electrons). From my understanding, physical waves such as in plates are not composed of actual matter.

So I heard light travels in a medium called "luminiferous ether", and obviously light is a "wave". So, I logically think that light has no actual matter, and is, as stated above with tectonic plates, simply the action of atoms bumping into each other. BUT I also know that light is made of photons, and I've heard that these particles have a very tiny MASS!! So is light a WAVE like in tectonic plates, or an actual PARTICLE with MATTER?!?!? I am extremely confused on the intuition behind light's nature, and if someone can clear this up, that would be GREAT!!!







As a supplementary side note, why does light have different wavelengths in the first place? Also, I know the length of the wavelength has to do with color, but WHY does this have anything to do with color?!? It's like, you can tell me how my pet cow affects the weather conditions in Antarctica, but I never know why. It's the same for me with light, and I can't find an answer. Is it just that, we, as human beings, are not technologically advanced enough to know?? Thanks to those who answer.

And also, do you think it would be possible to "cancel out" the reflection of light off of matter, making stuff invisible?






via Physics Forums RSS Feed http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=703641&goto=newpost

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire