Am I stupid or did I not try hard enough?

mercredi 31 juillet 2013

Hi. I just came back from the registrar and dropped the complex analysis course I was failing.



I don't think I slacked off. True, it's the summer and I had a few kickbacks with my friends that I wouldn't have had during the academic year, but I really wasn't doing much else besides complex analysis. It wasn't my first upper level course, as I've taken abstract algebra and linear algebra, where I got A- and B+, respectively.



I am concerned since I'll be taking more upper level math courses, and the unsatisfactory performance on complex analysis may translate to future classes.



How do you know if you really did your best but couldn't do it OR if you really could have worked even harder?



Another thing is working smarter. A frustrating thing about math is that the amount you learn isn't directly proportional to how much time you put into it. For example, I took intro psych course last semester and how much reading I got done was proportional to how much time I put into it. For math, if you don't understand something, then it doesn't matter if you spent one hour or the whole day. It's like there's an activation energy for each concept and unless you break that threshold, you might as well have put zero hours into it. So I guess I should really develop study habits and skills that allow me to math learn better.



Anyway, any feedback for a starting math major on study habits/skills would be great



Thank you






via Physics Forums RSS Feed http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=703715&goto=newpost

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire