Electric Field of a Solenoid

mercredi 31 juillet 2013

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data



A long solenoid of radius R, length L (which

is much longer than R), number of windings

N, has a current I that is changing in time at

a rate (dI/dt). What is the magnitude of the

electric eld a distance R=2 from the axis of

the solenoid?



2. Relevant equations



μ0(N/L)I



3. The attempt at a solution



I thought I had this completely right until I get to the R/2 Part. if you just throw the R/2 part into the equation, then you get the B field I believe, but the answer is: μ0(dI/dt)(N/L)R/4.



I am not seeing where the 4 in the denominator comes from unless we had some kind of divisible action of R going on somewhere, or something. Not really sure how to proceed!






via Physics Forums RSS Feed http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=703748&goto=newpost

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire