Mechanical Nuclear coolant pumps built on turbine to generator shaft?

samedi 30 novembre 2013

Hello, i'm new to this board. I have a engineering question about the coolant pumps used to maintain reactors.



I have been studying the basics of a PWR.



I notice the pumps are fed mostly by electricity.



While I see the logic and efficiency of that..I am left wondering why the space on and between the turbine to generator shaft is not used to provide also failsafe mechanical pumps?



In the event of a electrical power loss to the pumps such as Fukushima, or a pump failure..all you would have to do is open a valve and let the reactor regulate and cool itself down mechanically driven by its own turbine to generator shaft.



Is this practical or worth pursuing further?



Thanks,



David






via Physics Forums RSS Feed http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=725782&goto=newpost

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire