Can I integrate to find resistance of an object of increasing radius?

samedi 30 novembre 2013

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have to find the ratio of RB/RA where R is electrical resistance.

Both objects A and B have circular cross section and length L, and are made of the same material.

A has radius r0. B has radius r0/2 at the bottom and increases linearly to 2r0.





2. Relevant equations



R=pl/A



3. The attempt at a solution

RA is simple enough to determine, but I'm stuck with RB

I have 2 potential theories as how to tackle this.

One is that the thin end and the thick ends will cancel, due to symmetry, leaving me with a ratio of 1.

The other involves R=pl/A becoming R=p∫0L1/A dx and somehow changing this to involve r0/2 and 2r0






via Physics Forums RSS Feed http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=725780&goto=newpost

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire