Conservation of Angular Momentum

samedi 30 novembre 2013

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data



A merry-go-round of radius 2m has a moment of inertia 250kg*m^2, and is rotating at 10rpm on a frictionless axle. Facing the axle and initially at rest, a 25kg child hops on the edge of the merry-go-round and manages to hold on. What will be the new angular velocity of the merry-go-round after the child jumps on?



2. Relevant equations



Li (system) = Lf (system)



3. The attempt at a solution



Let g = merry-go-round and c = child.



Li = Lf, so (IW)g-initial = (IW)g+c-final.



Solving for Ic:



Ic = mr^2 = (25kg)(2m)^2 = 100kg*m^s



Solving for Ig+c:



Ig+c = Ig + Ic = 350kg*m^s



Solving for final angular velocity of system:



W(g+c)-final = (IW)g-initial / Ig+c = [(250kg*m^2)(10rpm)] / 350kg*m^s = 7.14rpm.





My question is, should I be treating the child as a point-mass, allowing me to use I = mr^2 -- or should I approximate its shape in determining I? (Treating it as a cylinder - I = .5mr^2 - I get 8.33rpm.)



Any insight into this will be much appreciated!






via Physics Forums RSS Feed http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=725818&goto=newpost

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire