Angular velocity when mass is added at center of rotation

samedi 30 novembre 2013

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A guy is spinning on a chair with his hands at rest on his lap. As he is spinning, a large mass drops into his hands/lap. Does the guy continue spinning at the same rate, a slower rate, or a faster rate?

This video demonstrates what happens when the guy drops mass:

http://media.pearsoncmg.com/aw/aw_0m...d/video20.html



Please do not answer the question for me, but help me understand the problem and relevant equations.





2. Relevant equations

L = Iω = m(r^2)ω -----I think this this is the equation I need....





3. The attempt at a solution

If mass is added, shouldn't ω decrease due to the conservation of angular momentum?

But I did a quick experiment with my brother and I didn't seem to slow down...






via Physics Forums RSS Feed http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=725804&goto=newpost

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire