Relative velocities of particles and photons

lundi 30 juin 2014

According to my understanding of SR, a light photon traveling at c, of course, relative to me "experiences" no time. In other words, it is not traveling through, at least, the time dimension I am traveling through. A neutrino, say, moving close to c does, but it is traveling very slowly through time compared to me. Now we can say that the neutrino, in it's own frame, is experiencing it's own proper time as "normal," and experiences me as traveling very slowly through it's time dimension. So far so good.



But what about the "experience" of the photon. If I experience the photon as traveling at c relative to me, doesn't the photon necessarily have to experience me traveling at c relative to it? Doesn't this, then, necessarily mean that I have to be massless in order for the symmetry to hold? Last time I checked I weighed over 200 pounds. How do we reconcile this? Also, am I frozen in time from the perspective of the photon? What form does that take?



From the neutrinos perspective, traveling at say .99+ the speed of light, I must seem enormous, a huge, heavy structure of mass-energy. However, if I just travel a tiny bit faster and reach the speed of c, all of that mass vanishes, and I become massless. I'm a bit confused on what the nature of that bridge is, or means. Now I know that the objection is that I can't reach the speed of light compared to the neutrino so it's a null argument, and I'd agree, but that is why I brought up the relative speed compared to the photon in the beginning. What do I look like from the perspective of the photon?





0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire