Continuous (non-discrete) Quantum States

lundi 30 juin 2014

I am watching James Binney's QM lectures on iTunes University, and also going through his free textbook. He is a tough teacher, but I love how many misconceptions he points out, and some of the points he makes are very subtle and mind blowing when the lightbulb comes on.



I am confused on this point in his lectures:



He states that ##| \psi \rangle =\int _{ -\infty }^{ \infty }{ dx\psi (x)| x \rangle } ## is an analogy to the discrete state ## | \psi \rangle=\sum _{ i }^{ all }{ a_i | E_i \rangle } ##. Binney uses the lower case psi to describe the complete state that is formed out of the basis static states ##E_i##.



I am sure he is correct, but I need to some baby steps to make a conceptual bridge between the two equations.



Anyone care to flush this out for me?



Thanks,

Chris





0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire