Physics Fundamentals : Moment

lundi 30 juin 2014

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ladder weighing 200N is being held by a man. The man shoulder acts as a pivot. His arm is pushing an upward force F.



http://ift.tt/1oi9QZL



Where could a weight of 150N be hang upon, so that force F do not need to counteract the weight of the ladder



2. Relevant equations

Moment= F x Perpendicular Distance



3. The attempt at a solution

I am not sure if I am understanding it correctly. If I am not wrong, the question is asking me, where can I hang a weight of 150N, so that force F no need to counteract the weight of the ladder. Meaning, assume force F = 0N.



Let the distance be x

Total clockwise moment = total anti clockwise moment

150x = 200*0.5

150x = 100

x = 2/3

= 0.667m.



Therefore it needs to be hang 0.667m away from the pivot or at 3.167m of the ladder.



Am I understanding this correctly?





0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire