Spherical surface area element.

dimanche 30 mars 2014

See image attached.



(I've had a google but can't find anything).



I am trying to understand the expression : Rdθ.2∏Rsinθ






Here are my thoughts so far:



Rdθ is the width of a strip, θ being the variable changing/to integrate over, giving arise to the elements.



2∏Rsinθ must then be the length. However I dont understand this expression.



I think I understand Rdθ - it is the arc length.



Here are my length thoughts: From the triangle sin θ =(l/2)/R, where l is the length we are after, and l/2, because this triangle only gives half of the length we are after.



Ofc this must be wrong, as I have a ∏ unexplained.





Many thanks to anyone who can help shed some light on this, greatly appreciated !




Attached Images





File Type: png area elemnt.png (6.2 KB)







0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire