Grad School for Condensed Matter: Weizmann/Technion vs. good US school

dimanche 30 mars 2014

Hello Everybody,



I am a senior at a UC school, and I am interested in condensed matter and am open to studying related things (e.g. chemical physics, optics, optical simulations of condensed matter systems), and I'm not sure if I want to study theory or experiment (started out leaning towards theory, but now it is about 50:50.) I've been accepted to Rice as a physics Ph.D. with a fellowship, and recently accepted to Technion for an M.Sc. in physics; I also applied to Weizmann for an M.Sc. and I think I have a good chance of getting in there as well.



My plan upon applying to these programs in Israel was if I didn't get into one of the top schools I applied to (e.g. Cornell, Columbia) I might go to Israel for a masters, and then re-apply to top schools in the US (assuming I did very well in the M.Sc.) Does anyone have a perspective on either Weizmann or Technion for a physics education in condensed matter, and/or have advice about my potentially risky plan? I am wondering if I should give up Rice: I visited and the academic environment + facilities there are really quite good, and they have at least two professors I would be interested in working with. Weizmann, on the other hand, has more than two professors that I would be interested in working with, and I've noticed that many of the graduates from good groups there end up with really good positions in the US for post-docs or sometimes Ph.Ds. I believe that if I did very well there I would have a much better shot for a great US grad school than I did this time around. Aside from academic concerns, I have been to Israel (albeit only for two weeks,) and would be very interested in living there for an extended period of time.



I know this question is very specific to my own situation, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!





0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire