What is band bending and how does it relate to Fermi Energy?

lundi 30 septembre 2013

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a pn junction in Si at 300K (other parameters given), with doping NA = 1021/m3 and ND = 1023/m3. Assume all impurities are ionized. On this basis find the Fermi level on each side. From this find the band bending VB and make a sketch of the pn junction.



2. Relevant equations

[itex]N_e = N_C e^{\frac{-(E_G - E_F)}{k_B T}} [/itex]





3. The attempt at a solution

The Fermi energy calculation was fairly straightforward to solve for, since I just used the formula above for both sides and solved for EF. My question is about band bending. What is it and how do I calculate it? I looked through the relevant chapter in my text-book, but I couldn't find any reference to it. Can someone show me how it relates to the Fermi energy that I have already calculated?






via Physics Forums RSS Feed http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=713644&goto=newpost

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire