Use uncertainty principle to obtain the result of Bohr's Model

dimanche 29 septembre 2013

Problem

Find the minimum energy of the hydrogen atom by using uncertainty principle



a. Take the uncertainty of the position Δr of the electron to be approximately equal to r

b. Approximate the momentum p of the electron as Δp

c. Treat the atom as a 1-D system





My step



1. Δr Δp ≥ h/4(pi)

Δp ≥ h/4(pi)r



2. Total energy E = (p^2 /2m) - ke^2 /r



≥ (h^2/8(pi)^2 m r^2) - (ke^2)/r



3. rearranging the term



(Emin)r^2 + (ke^2)r - (h^2 /8(pi)^2 m ) = 0



Require Δ = 0 for the quadratic equation



I obtain E = -54.7 eV ≠ -13.6 eV





If I replace Δr by (1/2)Δr, I can obtain the correct result. But I don't know why.






via Physics Forums RSS Feed http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=713258&goto=newpost

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire