Vrms

lundi 30 septembre 2013

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So today in lecture, my professor talked about VRMS. I understand VRMS and its relationship to DC power dissipation, however, in lab today I became very confused.



In lecture, we were told to use the VRMS value when applying Ohms laws/power equations (P=VI). Then, later, in lab we were observing an AC voltage (1Vpp) across to resistors (wired on a breadboard).



The oscilloscope read 1Vpp drop across both resistors - which I was a little confused with... more importantly, I was confused because when I was using OHM's law (V=IR) to calculate the "calculated values" to compare them to the measured values, I used VRMS... since I thought that was what we could ONLY use... the Oscilloscope kept displaying Vpp... so I became very lose because even the text said that you had to use VRMS when using Ohm's laws - which would mean the oscilloscope was displaying the wrong values? or incorrectly using Vpp instead of VRMS?



Can someone help me to understand when we HAVE to use VRMS and when VP or VPP is even ok in a calculation?



Other lab information: We output the 1Vpp Voltage from a signal generated (sine wave) with a Frequency of 10kHz



Thank you so much



2. Relevant equations

P = VRMS I





3. The attempt at a solution

I got the solution... I just do not understand, from my text and lecture, why Vpp is allowed in Ohm's law. It made sense to me that we had to use RMS values

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data







2. Relevant equations







3. The attempt at a solution

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data







2. Relevant equations







3. The attempt at a solution






via Physics Forums RSS Feed http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=713532&goto=newpost

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire