2 boxes stacked, determining forces on each other.

lundi 30 septembre 2013

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The mass of the upper block in the stack is 0.85 kg. The mass of the lower block in the stack is 1.67 kg. The coefficients of friction between the two blocks are: static 0.75, and kinetic 0.61. The child's mother, who likes to encourage his experiments, has oiled a small strip of the horizontal floor so that it is very slick; the coefficient of kinetic friction between the oiled section of floor and the lower block is only 0.12 and the coefficient of static friction is insignificantly different.



Before the pushing starts, here are some questions about the vertical forces acting on the two blocks.



b) What is the vertical component of the contact force on the upper block by the lower block? HINT: You must apply Newton's First Law.



2. Relevant equations



ƩF=0

Since at this point in time the boxes are stationary



3. The attempt at a solution



I know the Fg of upper box is 8.33N, I also know that along with the normal force on the upper block there is also a FB2B1 block 2 being the upper block.

I believe Fg,total= 24.696N, after many other attempts I tried to say Fg,total = NB2, therefore

ƩF = n + FB2B1 - Fg,B2

= 24.696N + FB2B1 - 8.33N = 0

this gives me a negative result for FB2B1 which I know is incorrect.

Here are my free body diagrams, I believe I may be missing something in my FBD which is why I cannot get the answer I am looking for.




Attached Images





File Type: jpg photo-3.JPG (38.4 KB)








via Physics Forums RSS Feed http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=713662&goto=newpost

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire