Projectile motion, throwing a ball at a coconut

lundi 30 septembre 2013

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You throw a ball at a coconut on a stand 4.0 m in front of you and 1.0 m above the point at which you release the ball. If you throw the ball at 10.0 m/s, at what angle(s) should you throw it? How long is the ball in the air in each case?





2. Relevant equations

##v=v_o + at \\ x=x_o + v_o t + \dfrac{1}{2}at^2 ##





3. The attempt at a solution

I am given the horizontal distance (4.0m), vertical distance (1.0m), and the horizontal initial velocity (10.0m/s). I am looking for the angle θ. I have looked over some videos online and I know that there should be two angles where I can hit the coconut (they are complementary angles). I have trouble finding the angle θ because there are two unknowns in my equation (t and θ). I have split the problem into x and y components.



##v_x = v_ox \\ x = x_o + v_o t \\ v_y = v_oy + a_y t \\ y = y_o + y_o t + \dfrac{1}{2}a_y t^2##



I also used ##v_ox = v_o cosθ \\ v_oy = v_o sinθ## and substituted into the original equations. I have tried to cancel out t and solve for θ but I end up with a equation that involves the tangent and cosine function which I don't think is correct. Is this the correct approach to solving this problem?






via Physics Forums RSS Feed http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=713650&goto=newpost

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire