Help with Calc/Physics Question - Integration Methods

mercredi 29 janvier 2014

1. The Problem

The acceleration function for a particle is given as a(t)=60t+18. v(1)=5, find the distance traveled by the particle from t=0 to t=2



3. The attempt at a solution



First, I integrated the acceleration function to get the velocity function, I found:



v(t)=30t2+18t+c

v(1)=5=30+18+C

5=48+C

C=-43

So v(t)=30t2+18t-43



Well, now I scratched my head a little bit. I know that the distance traveled is the absolute value of the integral of this function on my interval, but with the -43 hanging out on the end of this equation, I will not be able to factor. I approached my prof. about this and he said there was a formula that I should use, and that the quadratic equation solution that I produced wasn't necessary, and that this problem could be done on a scientific calculator.



What am I missing?



(I had hoped that v(1) would be 0 so it would split right down the middle :cry: )



TIA for the help.



Chris





0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire