Rotation motion problem

jeudi 31 juillet 2014

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A mass m1 is connected by a light cord to a mass m2, which slides on a smooth surface. The pulley rotates about a friction less axle and has a moment of inertia I and radius R. Assuming the cord does not slip on the pulley, find (a) the acceleration of the two masses, (b) the tensions T1 and T2, and (c) numerical values for a, T1 and T2 if I = 0.5 kg * m^2, R = 0.3 m, m1 = 4 kg, and m2 = 3 kg. (d) What would your answers be if the inertia of the pulley was neglected?







2. Relevant equations







3. The attempt at a solution

I drew a free body diagram and tried to find the acceleration of the first block. So I did

-9.6m1 + T = m1a1

-9.8 + T/m = a1

unfortunately this is not even close to being the right answer. How should I approach this problem?





0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire