Can LDO Voltage Regulators be driven at max current output?

mardi 29 juillet 2014

Hi. I was wondering if there is anything wrong with running LDO Voltage Regulators at max current output for extended periods of time (>12 hrs). The reason I ask is because I have a application where I have to drive a load that is less than 5Ω with a constant current of 500mA at 5V. I could use a resistor to limit the current but I was thinking if I could use a LDO Voltage Regulator and not use a current limiting resistor. With a 5Ω load at 5V I get a current of 1A but I need 500mA, so couldn't I use a LDO Volt Reg with a internal current limit of 500mA? I don't know much about voltage regulators, that's why I'm asking. The input voltage to my system is 6V, so I don't think the power dissipated in the voltage regulator would be that big of an issue. I'm willing to use a heatsink for the voltage regulator for better heat dissipation.



I could use a current source but I'm curious if this method will work or is there a problem with it.





0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire