I'm bad at listening to girls vent...

vendredi 30 août 2013

I almost put this in relationships, but I don't think it's appropriate; this is a general problem that need not be linked to romanticism.



Okay, I've learned the whole "girls don't need you to solve their problems, they just want to vent/be empowered" thing. But the problem I have is that I sometimes get genuinely interested.



I was listening to a girl vent and I asked too much about the story I guess. I thought it was appropriate: I was genuinely listening, not attempting to offer advice or solve anything, and asking questions. I wasn't trying to be obtrusive, but (1) I don't think I knew she was venting, and (2) the story was pretty interesting.



Finally, I got "this conversation is a lot of work, I want to hang up now."



And I wasn't only asking questions. I also said things like "wow, that sounds frustrating," "I couldn't deal with that," and "geeze, what a tough situation." (Not like a machine, mind you. I said them genuinely and appropriately.)



How can I be so bad at this?!



Now accepting advice.






via Physics Forums RSS Feed http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=707833&goto=newpost

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire