Find all critical points, and identify them as minima, maxima, or...

samedi 31 août 2013

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the function f(x,y) = (x2 + 4y2)e(1-x2-y2)



Find all critical points, and identify them as maxima, minima, or saddle points.



3. The attempt at a solution



I took the partial of x and the partial of y, and set them equal to 0. This is what I got:



fx(x,y) = 4y2 - x2 - 1 = 0



fy(x,y) = 4y - 2x2 + 4 = 0



But from here I'm kind of lost. I took Calc 3 a year ago, last fall, and now I've had to recall a lot of it for my PChem class. This is one of our homework questions, and I'm just having a lot of trouble remembering what the steps are for this. Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!






via Physics Forums RSS Feed http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=707967&goto=newpost

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire