Min Period of oscillation of a rod

samedi 31 mai 2014

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data



An iron rod of length L is hung at a common point with threads of length 'l' which are attached to the two ends of the rod. The rod is displaced a bit in the plane of the threads. What is the length of the threads if the period of the swinging of the rod is the least, and what is this period?





2. Relevant equations







3. The attempt at a solution



Moment of Inertia of the rod about O is $$ I = \frac{ML^2}{3}+My^2 $$



Write torque equation , ## I\ddotθ = -Mgyθ ##



$$ \ddotθ = -\frac{Mgy}{I}θ $$



$$ ω^2 = \frac{Mgy}{I} $$



$$ ω = \sqrt{\frac{Mgy}{I}} $$



$$ T = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{I}{Mgy}} $$



$$ T = 2\pi \frac{(l^2+\frac{L^2}{12})^\frac{1}{2}}{g(l^2-\frac{L^2}{4})^\frac{1}{4}} $$



Should I minimize this ? This looks a little more complicated than usual .




Attached Images





File Type: gif Rod.GIF (1.9 KB)







0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire