Ambiguous GRE Question?

jeudi 18 septembre 2014

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Title of pie chart: New Construction in Daisy Hill Subdivision

Given a pie chart with sections:

Currently Completed: 26%

Currently Under Construction: 42%

Approved, but Not Yet Started: 32%



Question:

When construction is completed in Daisy Hill Subdivision there'll be a total of 50 homes.

Approximately, how many houses have not yet been completed?



3. The attempt at a solution

Originally, I thought that because construction completed in the subdivision meant completely done with labor.

Then, I thought about setting

50 homes -- 26%

x -- 42%

But, apparently that's not the way.



Then, I thought 50 is 100% of construction completed.



Then that 26% * x = 50, and I tried to solve for x to find total amount of houses.

x=192.30.

From 192.30 I tried to get the 42% = 80.76, but that didn't work.



I think that the question is poorly phrased. Anyone agree?



Apparently, the solution is :

74%50 = 37





0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire